You can find just about anything on Pinterest and it’s a really great place to find inspiration for a home renovation. If you already know what your design style is then Pinterest is really effective for nutting out those finer details of a home renovation project. If you don’t know what your design style is Pinterest can seem like a nightmare. And when there’s an overwhelming amount of spaces and rooms that you like asking you to choose just one seems cruel. If you’re just starting out and have no idea what your design style is I’ve got some tips to get you started.
- Create a single board for your entire home. This board will act as the mood board for your home renovation. Start out by pinning anything and everything that catches your eye. Over time, you will start to see a collection of images emerge that will be quite similar in aesthetic and design.
- Use the more like this function. When you see an image you like, click on it to reveal a stack of images similar to the first. Follow and enjoy the journey!
- Use broad search terms as a starting point. A natural starting point is to look at interiors and one of my favourites is Modern Australian Interior. It will give you an excellent cross-section of spaces designed by Australians for our lifestyle.
- Search for things other than interiors. Look for things that you already have an interest in like hobbies, clothes, holidays or nature. By using things that you are already familiar with, you instinctively understand the feeling it gives you. It’s this feeling that you want to tap into – whether its a feeling of excitement, relaxation or nurturing these are the feelings that you will naturally want in your home.
- Invite a friend to collaborate with. Having someone to bounce ideas off can provide clarity or it may open up possibilities that you hadn’t even considered.
Using Pinterest to understand your design style should give you confidence when it comes to making design decisions about your home renovation. And if you engage a designer you’ll feel much more comfortable knowing your own design style before you start out.
If you want to come on my Pinterest journey you can find me here!